Several thefts from unlocked vehicles parked in residential neighborhoods have been reported to the Ann Arbor Police Department.
Thefts have been occurring every day of the week, with higher incidents reported on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, between the hours of 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. Vehicles have been targeted in several neighborhoods. Thieves are stealing money/change, purses, wallets, bags, credit cards, electronics, clothing, shoes and other personal items.
AAPD and UMPD are enhancing police patrols.
There are several ways you can help protect your property and prevent vehicle break-ins. DPSS strongly encourages you to:
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times
- Keep your keys with you at all times
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Report any suspicious behavior or incidents
- Do not leave cash, valuables or personal items in your vehicle where they are visible to others
If you are a victim of a break-in or larceny or see any suspicious behavior, you are encouraged to report it to the police.
DPSS can be reached by phone at (734) 763-1131, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and through the online reporting form.
AAPD can be reached by contacting their dispatch at (734) 994-2911 or by email at email@example.com.