As St. Patrick’s Day approaches, we want to ensure everyone celebrates responsibly. Use these tips to help you safely navigate this year’s festivities.
Have a plan for getting home safely.
If you’re planning on going to a bar or attending a private party, ensure everyone in your group has a safe plan for returning home. Select a designated driver, plot a bus route, or arrange a ride. Keep your awareness levels high when driving or crossing the street on foot.
- Never drink and drive
- Never drive while under the influence of other substances
- Use caution as a pedestrian if you choose to walk home
- Utilize after-hours university transportation options
- Download the Stay in the Blue app for a list of local rideshare options
- Review our non-university rideshare safety tips before utilizing local rideshare options
Use the buddy system.
Plan ahead by pairing up with a trusted friend or two. Stay together! Look out for the safety of your friends and talk to them about doing the same for you.
Eat and stay hydrated.
Eat food with plenty of protein and fat before and while drinking. Alternate a non-alcoholic beverage, such as water, with any alcoholic drinks you consume. Eating and drinking water may also decrease the likelihood of a hangover.
Don’t leave your drinks unattended.
Even if you are not drinking alcohol, it is easy for someone to put something in your drink unless you see it opened or prepared. Keep your drink with you at all times.
Know the signs of an alcohol emergency.
If you notice an unconscious or semi-conscious person with a pale or bluish color to their skin or abnormal breathing, call 911 immediately, even if they are not of legal drinking age. Never assume they will “sleep it off,” as high intoxication levels can be deadly.
Learn more about the medical amnesty law. UHS also offers resources and more information about alcohol emergencies.
If you or someone you know needs help or feels unsafe, report it. Call 911 or (734) 763-1131 for non-emergencies.
St. Patrick’s Day Events:
- St. Patrick’s Day Bagel Distribution – March 17, 9 a.m – 1 p.m., Multiple locations
- Over the Rainbow Block M Hunt – March 17, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- St. Patrick’s Day Party – March 17, 12 p.m. – 2 p.m., Michigan Union – Courtyard
- Lucky You-Mix – March 17, 9 p.m. – midnight, Michigan Union
- Sober Skate – March 17, 10 p.m. – midnight, Yost Ice Arena
Whatever you decide to do, always remember to take care of your fellow Wolverines and exercise good judgment as you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this year. Remember, it takes more than luck to get home safely.