Alert ID: 2023-4
Alert Agency: UMPD #23-2978
Alert Issued: July 8, 2023
Date of Incident: July 7, 2023, at approximately 10:00 p.m.
Location: Ford Motor Company Robotics Building, 2505 Hayward, Ann Arbor
Offense: Sexual Assault
Summary: The University of Michigan Police is actively investigating an incident that occurred the evening of July 7 at the Ford Motor Company Robotics Building.
An individual was banging on a locked exterior door and gained unauthorized access from a person inside the building. Once in the building, he followed the victim into a room and sexually assaulted her.
Suspect(s): Male, no further information is available at this time.
If you have any information, please contact the U-M Division of Public Safety and Security at (734) 763-1131 or email UM-DPSS-Tips@umich.edu
- Trust your intuition. If a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, choose an alternative.
- If you see something, say something. Report suspicious behavior. Call 911
- Avoid providing building access to people you do not know, or anybody who makes you feel unsafe.
- Walk with a trusted friend or co-worker when possible
- Confidential Tip Line 1-800-863-1355
Sexual assault is any sexual activity that occurs in the absence of consent. The responsibility lies with the perpetrator, not the survivor – no one deserves, asks for, or provokes sexual assault. The University of Michigan Police Department has a Special Victims Unit that strives to provide a safe, caring environment where victims are empowered to take action. If you or someone you know has experienced sexual assault, we encourage you to report it to law enforcement.
DPSS encourages community members in need of support to reach out to:
- DPSS Special Victims Unit
- Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC)
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Dean of Students Office
- SAFEHouse Center
- Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office (FASCCO)
- Michigan Medicine Office of Counseling and Workplace Resilience
Please note that an internal email had an incorrect date in the incident alert. The correct date is July 7, 2023.