CRIME ALERT CANCELLED – June 15, 2023 – The suspect in the case has been taken into custody.
Alert ID: 2023-1
Alert Agency: UMPD (#23-2517 & #23-2519)
Alert Issued: May 31, 2023
Date of Incident: May 30, 2023, at approximately 3:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Location: 2100 Hubbard, Sidewalk near Parking Lot NW #10
Offense: Sexual Assault and Indecent Exposure
The University of Michigan Police Department (UMPD) is actively investigating two indecent exposure incidents and a sexual assault (groping) that occurred on North Campus.
At approximately 4:30 p.m., a female student reported that while walking on the sidewalk near parking lot NW10, an unknown male approached her while stimulating himself with his genitals exposed. He was last seen leaving the area in a black or dark blue colored sedan.
A short time later, another female student reported that while walking in the same area, she observed a male looking at her from a vehicle. As she got closer, she saw the suspect exit the car with pants around his knees. He approached her with his genitals exposed while stimulating himself. As the student walked by, she observed the suspect return to his vehicle and leave the area in a light yellow or silver sedan.
At approximately 8:30 p.m., UMPD received a report of a sexual assault that happened around 3:30 p.m. A suspect approached a female student from behind while she was walking on the sidewalk near parking lot NW10. He groped her through her clothing. She struck him with her umbrella across his face.
At this stage, all incidents are believed to have been perpetrated by the same individual.
If you have information regarding these incidents, please contact UMPD at 734-763-1131 or Detective John Buehler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Suspect(s) (as described by the victims):
(1) White male in his 20s, medium build, wearing a sky-blue t-shirt with no graphics
(2) White male, approximately 6 feet tall, full beard, long wavy brown hair
(3) White male, mid 20’s-30, 5’8-5’9, skinny to medium build, short curly red hair, blue eyes, goatee/mustache, bright t-shirt or polo shirt, no hat or glasses
If you have any information, please contact the Division of Public Safety & Security at (734) 763-1131
- Trust your intuition. If a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, choose an alternative.
- If you see something, say something. Report suspicious behavior. Call 911
- Walk with a trusted friend or co-worker when possible
- Confidential Tip Line 1-800-863-1355
Sexual assault is any sexual activity that occurs in the absence of consent. The responsibility lies with the perpetrator, not the survivor – no one deserves, asks for, or provokes sexual assault. The University of Michigan Police Department has a Special Victims Unit that strives to provide a safe, caring environment where victims are empowered to take action. If you or someone you know has experienced sexual assault, we encourage you to report it to law enforcement.