Sexual Assault Awareness Month began as a national campaign in 2001 by the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. Though social activism around the topic of sexual assault far predates 2001, the campaign has worked to educate others and advocate for survivors throughout the 21st century.
The University of Michigan’s Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS) will participate in several activities throughout the month to raise awareness about sexual assault in recognition of National Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
- Self-Love Y❤️ga with RED YOGA – Friday, April 1, 4:30 – 5:30 p.m., Wolverine Room, Union 3rd floor
- Ann Arbor Goddess Run – Sunday, April 3, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m., Downtown Ann Arbor (Discount Code: SAPAC10)
- rEVOLUTION: Healing Through the Arts – Sunday, April 3, 4 – 6 p.m., Assembly Hall, 4th Floor Rackham
- Take Back the Night – Thursday, April 7, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m., Union Ballroom of University of Michigan and streaming LIVE on YouTube
- SAPAC Speak Out – Sunday, April 10, 6 – 8 p.m., Pendleton Room, Michigan Union
If your department or student organization is interested in requesting a presentation on topics such as domestic violence and Empowerment Self-Defense, please fill out a request form.
If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, we recognize that reporting can be difficult. Our SVU officers work to ensure that survivors are treated with respect, sensitivity, and understanding. UMPD SVU officers Start by Believing and have training in the trauma-informed approach. You can report an incident or contact our SVU by calling 734-763-1131.
If you are in immediate danger, dial 911.