Alert ID: 2021-2
Alert Agency: AAPD #2021-23164 and AAPD #2021-23198
Alert Issued: July 17, 2021 at 8:00 a.m.
Date of Incident: July 16, 2021, at approximately 10:00 p.m. and July 17, 2021, at approximately 4:00 a.m.
Locations: Nickels Arcade (326-330 South State Street, Ann Arbor) and Catherine and Division, Ann Arbor
Offense: Aggravated Assault
Summary: The Ann Arbor Police Department (AAPD) is actively investigating two possibly related incidents.
Incident #1: At approximately 10:00 p.m., a female was approached while walking in Nickels Arcade, the covered shopping district between State St and Maynard. The suspect punched the female and told her to be quiet. She immediately kicked him in the groin and started screaming causing the suspect to flee on foot.
Incident #2: At approximately 4:00 a.m., a female was walking in the area of Catherine near Division when a suspect jumped out near a driveway where he appeared to be hiding. The suspect punched the victim in the face and grabbed her throat, telling her to be quiet. The student kicked the suspect and was able to flee on foot.
Suspect(s): Male, early 20s, clean-shaven, about 6’ tall, wearing a grey hoodie with the hood up
If you have any information, please contact the U-M Division of Public Safety and Security at (734) 763-1131 or the Ann Arbor Police Department Tip Line (734) 794-6939.
- Look assertive and be aware of your surroundings
- Trust your intuition. If a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, choose an alternative
- Walk with a friend or co-worker in well-lit areas
- Avoid isolated areas
- If you feel threatened, look for a blue light emergency phone or call 911 from any phone.
- If you see something, say something. Report suspicious behavior. Call 911
- Confidential Tip Line 1-800-863-1355