In January 2021, President Mark Schlissel and Provost Susan Collins created a task force to assess public safety on the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor campus, inclusive of Michigan Medicine. This anti-racism initiative set out to make sure that all people on our campus not only are safe but actually feel safe. The task force included representation from students, faculty, staff, and parents.
The members of the Task Force conducted an initial review and assessment of DPSS’s current practices, identified areas of strength and opportunities for improvement, and provided recommendations for improvement and further study.
The final report was published on May 6, 2021. In response to the report, President Schlissel and Provost Collins provided a memo on next steps, which was followed up by a statement of support from the DPSS executive director.
A project manager was recently hired to assist in facilitating this work moving forward to ensure appropriate prioritization and forward momentum with this important set of work. DPSS has already started the process of implementing several of the Task Force initiatives in the following areas. Other areas of task force recommendations require further analysis and consideration which is underway, and we will continue to update this page as the work continues.
Education & Engagement
- DPSS Progress Update 2, Dec. 9, 2021
- DPSS Progress Update 1, Sept. 21, 2021
- DPSS Statement on Task Force Report, June 10, 2021
- Public safety task force submits final report and recommendations
University Record, June 10, 2021
- Advancing Public Safety Report – Next Steps, June 10, 2021
- FINAL REPORT – Advancing Public Safety at the University of Michigan Task Force, May 6, 2021
- REVISED Final Charge Document: Advancing Public Safety at the University of Michigan Task Force, February 11, 2021
- Final Charge Document: Advancing Public Safety at the University of Michigan Task Force, January 4, 2021
- Task force selected to examine campus public safety practices
University Record, January 11, 2021
- Public safety task force nominations open until Nov. 5, University Record, October 27, 2020
If you have any questions, please contact Teresa Oesterle at firstname.lastname@example.org.